– New toll rates on the Mackinac Bridge go into effect Jan. 1, 2012
– Passenger vehicle tolls to increase to $4 per crossing
December 13, 2011 — The Mackinac Bridge Authority (MBA) board is reminding motorists that effective Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012, the following tolls will go into effect (per crossing):
– Auto/passenger vehicle: $4; vehicle with trailer: $2 per axle
– Commuter: $2*
– Other, including commercial trucks and motor homes: $5 per axle
These toll increases were unanimously approved by the MBA board in 2007 following a series of public hearings held earlier that year. Incremental toll adjustments are scheduled to occur through 2014, instead of a one-time adjustment. Toll revenue will help fund a long-term maintenance and preservation program that includes a complete deck-replacement project. The 54-year-old bridge is maintained and operated exclusively with toll revenue.
Expected toll increases through 2014 include:
– Commuter: $2.10
– Auto/passenger vehicle: $4.50; vehicle with trailer: $2.25 per axle
– Commuter: $2.20
– Other, including commercial trucks and motor homes: $6 per axle
As stated at its December 2007 meeting, the MBA board will review financial forecast data in 2013 to determine future actions, such as the expected toll increases in 2014, modification of tolls, and/or bonding. Regardless of future traffic volumes, the MBA will work diligently on its long-term preservation strategy to continuously review and implement a variety of cost-saving measures, as appropriate.